S ection four includes some of the most common dough functionality tests. The strength and mixing properties of dough help the baker determine the value of the flour they purchase.
Flour specifications often require specialized testing to determine how flour will perform during processing.
- Alveograph - Measures strength and elasticity through the resistance of the dough to expand into a bubble
- Extensigraph - Measures dough extensibility and resistance to extension
- Falling Number - Measures the effects of sprout damage
- Farinograph - Measures water absorption and dough strength
- Flour Color Analysis - Standardized test to measure flour color
- Glutomatic - Measures wet gluten content of the flour
- Mixograph - Measures water absorption and dough mixing characteristics
- Rapid Visco Analyzer - Measures starch properties of flour
- Solvent Retention Capacity (SRC)